Saturday, November 15, 2014

Switch Pods To Sound FX Plan

I found this really cool little Adafruit Audio FX Sound Board WAV/OGG Trigger with 2MB Flash that I figure I could use in conjunction with my Switch Pods to make them play certain sound effects, like for instance if I press the "Turbo Boost" button I should be able to have the sound effect play through either the car's internal speakers or even through the Voice Projection unit loudspeaker mounted into the front nose.

I found this very cool little sound FX board after watching a very cool video by James Bruton of XRobots on YouTube. Check out this cool video and you may begin to see where I am going with this ;)



As you can see from watching the video it's a very easy board to use for props and you can put a lot of sounds on it. The board looks to be small enough to easily stash just about anywhere.

Now one of my concerns was about how the board is powered, for props as you can see it is just a matter of hooking it up to a small battery pack as the board runs off of a 3 - 5 V DC current. Now the car electronics run on a 12V DC Current.... So I remembered that there is a little thing out there called a "Step Down transformer" so I thought to myself;


"OK, before I go and shell out the Frog Skins for this cool little board let me see if there is such a thing as a Step Down Transformer that will convert from 12V DC to 5V DC?"

And guess what? There is! I popped onto Google and did a search and sure enough I found this little gem on eBay for a great price and best of all it's even made to work with the Arduino boards. 

Check out this very cool video that also shows how this Adafruit board can be used.




No comments:

Post a Comment