Sunday, January 26, 2014

Turbocast Rims Cleanup

The Turbocast rims were in really rough shape with baked on embedded breakpad dust and oxidization,  I experimented with all kinds of cleaning methods after doing some research online.  First I tried a metal polish for aluminum and an old toothbrush which removed a little but was just not powerful enough to remove this very stubborn and tenacious grime embedded into the rims.

After many hard hours experimenting with the first rim I discovered that good old Oven Cleaner really is the best thing so far to remove this really baked on and embedded grime. You still have to work at it very hard using a small wire brush to get into all of the hard to reach places, which on these Turbocast rims is pretty much everywhere. They have to be the most, or at least one of the most difficult rims to clean because of their intricate design.
So far I'm still working at getting all of the tough stuff off and I'll see where I'm at once that job is done. If you don't have a lot of time but have the money I would say get them Glass Beaded. But if you have the time and patience go with good old yellow here and save the aluminum polishes and cleaners for when the rims are in much better shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment