Friday, January 3, 2020

Custom KITT Styled Maps

We all know K.I.T.T. could generate maps on his monitors, these maps were generated by KITT long before "Google Earth" or "Google maps" or any of the may other map request services we see pop up all over the Internet. KITT's maps were usually pre-programed in and KITT most likely had a data base of many maps depending on which area he was going to be working in. KITT's maps were mostly used for quick reference and to illustrate points of interest in a specific area.

Ever since I had seen KITT perform any kind of  map display feature I had wanted to be able to have my KITT do the same thing, only I did not want to use any of the typical map services we see all the time on the internet as they have a certain look to them, a look to me that was, well... Not quite what KITT had in the show for lack of a better description. I later on found that we can pars certain data from XML documents that have been converted into just plain text (.txt) and then use that data to render out a map in more of a "KITT-like style."

So far it's a work in progress, but is showing great promise as I can render out many different maps based on whatever data is in the XML files. I can then ask KITT something like: 
"Hey pal, where's a good place to get a burger around here?"
 and then KITT would be able to say open up a map of my St. James location and pin point on the map good locations to get a hamburger in true "KITT-like style" being completely independent of any connection to the Internet as all of the data is handled inside of KITT's software.

No comments:

Post a Comment